VAT Relief for Disabled Persons (UK only)
Many of our products qualify for VAT Relief. You may purchase these products through our website if either you are eligible for VAT relief or you are buying them specifically for someone who is, and we will refund the VAT.
Who is eligible for VAT relief?
An individual is entitled to VAT relief against eligible products if:
- They are a UK resident
- The person is "chronically sick or disabled", meaning they have a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect upon his/her ability to carry out everyday activities, or has a condition the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness, or is terminally ill.
- The products are purchased or acquired for their personal or domestic use.
HM Revenue & Customs does NOT consider any of the following as eligible for VAT relief:
- A person temporarily disabled or incapacitated from injury
- Frail elderly people who are otherwise able-bodied
- Pregnancy or pain relief equipment for childbirth
- Business use
- Use in connection to treatment provided by hospitals, nursing homes, or other commercial establishments.
Which products are eligible?
When looking at our product pages you can easily see if the item can be purchased free of VAT, as the price will be broken down into 'Including VAT' and 'Excluding VAT.'
TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulators) are specified examples of qualifying items given by HM Revenue & Customs. EMS (Electrical Muscle Stimulators) and dedicated accessories for all of these products also qualify.
Unfortunately, incontinence devices and Maternity TENS machines do not qualify for VAT exemption.
How to claim VAT relief
It's easy. Simply:
- Place your order as normal
- Once you have placed your order, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your order number
- We will send you a VAT exemption form if you have not filled one out for the current year
- Once completed, we will refund the VAT from your order
The cost of your items and the amount of VAT for each item is displayed on the checkout. When you go through to the payment, although the VAT will be included initially, we will refund the VAT amount.
Mail and telephone orders:
We must have a written or electronic record of your claim before deducting VAT from your order. If you place an order by phone we will charge VAT and send you a VAT exemption form with your goods. If you return the completed form to us within 7 days we will refund the VAT.
Alternatively, you can download this VAT Exemption Declaration Form here and send it to us with your order by post.
If you have already made a purchase:
Please Contact Us if you wish to claim VAT relief on an existing order or purchase from TensCare Ltd.
For further information about VAT relief for disabled people read HMRC Notice 701/7 (August 2002) at the HMRC website or contact their national advice centre on 0845 010 9000.